Friday, September 19, 2014

Finding the right Sketching medium for me - Watercolour

I took a quick break from work this morning and made a sketch of the view from our "front yard".


I have been hunting for a while now for the sketching medium that would best suit my needs.
(I consider it a sketch if the end result doesn't have to be finished /pretty).

Pencils smudge, pens are real limited in their tonal ability, Copic Markers don't transition well between tones (and bleed through most papers I have tried them on), Casein dries quick but is a whole lot of stuff to carry around just to do a sketch. Ink & water was my second most recent discovery, allowing me to essentially paint my sketch in black and white.

And then a little while back I saw some water colours that looked a whole lot different to the ones I had seen previously. They were semi-moist, compact, the artist using them was making some real nice work and then BAM! he closed his sketch book, just minutes after using it. I thought, "Now that will let me sketch just the way I want to". And glued into this old waterproofed sketchbook they fit right into my pocket.
So while the other media definitely have their place, I have found the easy yet versatile medium I have been searching after for my quick sketches & studies.



Copic

Casein

Ink

Pen

Pencil
 

Leave a Reply

Powered by Blogger.